Rachel B' Blog

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -Iroh (ATLA)

The Mockingjay Sings

on May 30, 2014

Please let Anne receive strength from this silver parachute. I think to myself as I delicately place the last part of the gift she will receive into the package. You are strong, determined, and I notice a hint of rebellion in you. All of these things I admire about you and I know you can win the games. I can tell that Anne Foyer loves her family and is proud of her district, based on the interview and the news articles I have read about her. So, in order to properly motivate her to get through the Hunger Games, all I have to do is remind her of these two things. This should definitely give her the strength to fight on.

To remind her of her family, I found a newspaper article about each of the tributes. Inside was a very small photo of her and her mother, smiling happily. The love they share is clearly very strong and I have to blink back hot tears when I think of how the sick, twisted, Capitol has separated them, possibly forever. The picture is worn, faded, and has some kind of food stain. However, it should have a lasting effect on Anne all the same. Then, to remind her of District Two, I have included a newspaper from the Capitol about District Two and its importance to all of Panem. I also sprinkled in some small pieces of stone, brick, and plaster in order to remind her of District Two, because that is the district responsible for providing stonework to other buildings. Each rock was dull, round, worn, and not at all hard. I looked for these types of rocks especially because I knew the Gamemakers would be able to tell that they could not be used as weapons.

Inside the package, I attached a note saying:

“Dear Anne,

I know that we have never actually met, but I wanted you to know just how inspired I am by you. Your strength, determination, and obvious love for your family have really had an affect on me, and I hope to do the same for you with these. I want you to use these to remember that most of District Two, especially your mom, is right behind you with there support and belief. You have to win, for your mother and the people who are inspired by you.”

Hopefully, it will be enough to get her through the most difficult part of the games.

3 Responses to “The Mockingjay Sings”

1. 4julia says:

I thought this was a very interesting piece. However it was a little long I don’t think you had to much information but it was wordy. Overall it was a very good piece!

2. 4lizzyt says:

I really like how you added the letter at the end. It was really creative! However, in the first sentence of your post, you put a period when it should really be a comma connecting the two sentences:Please let Anne receive strength from this silver parachute. I think to myself as I delicately place the last part of the gift she will receive into the package.
    Once again, your post is really long so next time SHORTEN it. all in all, good job

3. 4alyssaf says:

I really liked your post! The letter at the end was very unique and creative; I don’t think that anyone else did that. Your descriptive language was great when you were describing what you put in the package.